The last few years, and particularly the last 18 months, have been difficult for all of us, to say the least. Obviously, this is due in part to the deadly pandemic that changed and is continuing to change our lives. But there are other disorienting elements at play: fear of natural disasters brought on by a warming planet, despair and anger at resource, gender and racial inequalities, disinformation and the violence it generates, and growing isolationism as we move more of our lives online and alone – to name just a few.
These problems may seem insurmountable, but at Chicory Wealth we believe there is a counter to this narrative and a way to make a difference: by remembering that we are not just here for ourselves, but also for “the other” and by connecting to the wider community. This is not just a belief we as individuals hold – it is the vision of our practice. We absolutely do work to strengthen our clients’ personal lives and resources, but we want to do so much more than that.
We thought you might want to learn about some of the ways we are trying to connect to our communities and give back. There may be some opportunities for you as well!
One way to make a difference is by joining with other groups doing great work in the community. We are stronger together! Chicory Wealth is currently a member of these organizations:
- The INTERFAITH CENTER ON CORPORATE RESPONSIBILITY (ICCR) — Through the lens of faith, ICCR builds a more just and sustainable world by integrating social values into corporate and investor actions.
- The AMERICAN SUSTAINABLE BUSINESS COUNCIL-SOCIAL VENTURE CIRCLE (ASBC-SVC) — ASBC and SVC have formed a collaboration to create a force for environmental change and economic justice at the federal, state and local levels, one that rejects short-term thinking narrowly focused on short-term shareholder value in favor of a stakeholder economy based on creating long-term worth and universal accountability.
- BUSINESS FOR VOTING RIGHTS — A growing group of responsible businesses across the country working to ensure Americans have equal voting rights.
- CIVIL ALLIANCE — A nonpartisan group of businesses working together to build a future where everyone participates in shaping our country.
- After an extensive assessment process, Chicory Wealth became a CERTIFIED B CORPORATION in 2020, joining thousands of other businesses that balance purpose and profit and use business as a force for good. B Corps are legally required to consider the impact of their decisions on their workers, customers, suppliers, community, and the environment. In 2021 Chicory Wealth was named one of B Corp’s “Best for the World” in the area of customers.
Maggie’s Giving Group
Maggie’s Giving Group grew out of a simple premise: charitable giving is a natural outgrowth of a person’s healthy, mature relationship with money. Each year Chicory Wealth’s clients nominate organizations to be considered as beneficiaries of an annual December fundraising event. Maggie’s Giving Group board members then choose two final organizations. Our goals align with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) to end poverty, protect the planet, and ensure prosperity for all. As of 2020, Maggie’s Giving Group had raised approximately $135,000 for community organizations since its inception in 2007.
In addition to the fundraiser we hold every year through Maggie’s Giving Group, each year we commit to sponsoring several nonprofit organizations within our communities. Our 2021 sponsorships include the organizations below. We hope you will check them out and support the good work they are doing:
- COMPASSIONATE ATLANTA — A grassroots community-building non-profit seeking to raise awareness about the benefits of compassionate action throughout the Greater Atlanta area.
- OAKHURST COOPERATE PRESCHOOL — A cooperative preschool in Decatur, GA, with the goal of creating a positive, secure environment that encourages children to become enthusiastic, lifelong learners and self-confident, caring adults.
- CHICKEN & EGG PICTURES — A national nonprofit that supports women nonfiction filmmakers whose artful and innovative storytelling catalyzes social change for the world.
- SAVING INNOCENCE — A California-based nonprofit that serves, empowers, and advocates for child victims of sex trafficking.
- AS YOU SOW — A national non-profit foundation chartered to promote corporate social responsibility through shareholder advocacy, coalition building, and legal strategies.
- DECATUR BOOK FESTIVAL — One of the largest independent book festivals in the country (located in Decatur, GA), with the goals of encouraging a love of reading, inquiry and conversation in people of all ages; building an enthusiastic and inclusive community of readers and writers throughout the South; and sparking social, creative and intellectual engagement.
- WABE PUBLIC RADIO — A National Public Radio-affiliated public radio station located in Atlanta, GA, 90.1 FM.
September Month of Service – Join Us!
In the past, we have held service events during which we invited our team members and clients to help out with a community project. Our employees and clients are more spread out than they once were, but we want to continue to encourage this practice. With that in mind, we’re asking any team member or client who wishes to participate in our MONTH OF SERVICE to volunteer an hour or more of their time with the nonprofit of their choice any time between now and September 30, 2021. If you participate, let us know by emailing a photo of you volunteering. You can email it to [email protected].
Photo by Chang Duong of Unsplash